Friday, October 28, 2005

Thoughts on the Beloved

So despite admonitions not to cross union rules by having two games in development with celestial orbs in the title, I'm still working on city of the moon and Shooting the Moon.

I think Brand has a set of nipponophile friends who might playtest city of the moon (though I've realized that you have to have each person choose one Rival or Nemesis relationship for their main character, and then allow anyone to choose a non-Rival/Nemesis character to have a Companion scene with.) But I've been feeling stuck with respect to Shooting the Moon for a while.

Back after Ben & I played in the playtest I linked to here, he asked me, "So why should I want to play this game? What makes it interesting & different?" Or some such, and I've been cogitating on it since. I've been feeling un-inspired & not sure of what direction to take it in.

Then, while I was thinking about the character sheet & musing on the name I've used for the object of desire since day one and--a lightbulb went off in my head. The Beloved, of course! The search for truth in the light of the beloved. So from that start I got this:


Love is a journey toward the illuminating light of the Beloved.

Each of us has a desire, an emptiness that yearns to be filled by someone--something that brings us meaning.

We see in our Beloveds those parts of ourselves that would make us whole. We see in our loved ones what we seek to attain in ourselves.

Like the light of the Sun reflected in the Moon’s face, the Beloved is a mirror for our Soul. The quest for the love we seek is truly a journey that brings us closer to the truth of our own Self.

Take a few steps upon this journey in Shooting the Moon…

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily Boss said...

Hi Chris, thanks. Been following your blog with interest too (though my gamist days are few).

I remember a ways back seeing as if for the first time the distinct flavours of zen vs. sufi mysticisms: the spacious, quiet of the mind and soul of zen, in contrast to the crazy, soul-devouring & intoxicating bliss of sufism. Fascinating.

And just to clarify: These are notes on development of Shooting the Moon. It's a very different take than what I've been imagining heretofore, but when the muse beckons...

9:57 AM  
Blogger Emily Boss said...

Cool! Now, how to express it?

Aye, there's the rub.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home